Moving House can cause a lot of stress so the last thing you want to happen is for your back to let you down and add to that!
Leading up to your move date there is lots to organise and packing is just one thing on the list. If you don’t have the luxury of hiring a removals company a lot of stress will be placed on your body physically and emotionally. A lot of bending, lifting, repetitive postures, leaning in awkward positions, reaching and twisting, all of which can put abnormal load on the structures of the back.
Having moved three times in the last three years I can speak from experience when I say that keeping your back healthy during your move can help to minimise the stress.
Here are my top tips to avoid back pain during your move!
- TIME – always over estimate how long you will need to pack and move. This way you aren’t putting extra pressure on your self and risking rushing things and injuring yourself.
- WARM UP – Like any exercise or activity. Getting your blood pumping to your muscles helps to get them ready for activity and prepares them for movement.
- PACK CLEAVER – Distribute weight between boxes evenly and mark heavier and lighter boxes.
- VARY ACTIVITY – Limit the time that you are in one position i.e. knelt on the floor leaning over a box packing items. Take regular breaks.
- TWISTING -Avoid twisting by keeping the load in front and close to you or, if in bags, evenly in both hands at your sides.
- LIFTING – Keep the load that you are carrying as close to you as possible, face the direction in which you want to carry the weight, to avoid twisting – for more information on lifting check out our blog here
Chiropractic can help to alleviate aches and pains in the back and neck and keep your body moving well. If you would like more information or would like to book in please contact us 01600 890 282 / 07726297813